Legendary continues their MonsterVerse with the release of Kong: Skull Island, following up the American version of Godzilla (2014). With director Jordan Vogt-Roberts at the helm, the film is a B-movie picture with an A-movie cast and budget, including increasing Kong’s size to become over 100 feet tall. It may be the best big dumb monster movie ever. The Grue-crew hunker down in the podcast jungle to share their thoughts on the furry Kaiju beast and his battles with helicopters, a giant octopus, some deadly “skull crawlers”, and one mean looking Samuel L. Jackson. While the film is a gas, it may be the stinger that has the crew all giddy.
Dave is back with another edition of Horror News of the Week with talk of Behind the Mask getting a comic book, another Friday the 13th game trailer, and Netflix picking up the Godzilla anime feature. HNR and Gruesome Magazine are heading to a number of horror conventions and film festival in the coming months with Joey Fittos covering Monster-Mania this past weekend and Doc Rotten and John Black heading to Mad Monster Party Carolina, March 24-26, 2017.
Co-hosts Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr., Dave Dreher and Thomas Mariani are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week! Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Feature Review: Kong: Skull Island (2017)
Check out this killer A movie cast: Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, John C. Reilly, John Goodman, Corey Hawkins, John Ortiz, Tian Jing, Toby Kebbell, Jason Mitchell, Shea Wingham, Thomas Mann, Eugene Cordero, and Richard Jenkins. Too bad most of them are nothing more than fodder for Kong and his monster mates on Skull Island to stomp, eat, and squish in glorious monster movie mayhem. Kong is truly King! He is amazing in the film, wonderfully rendered and perfectly integrated in the world of Kong. The film also sets up the eventual Godzilla vs Kong MonsterVerse confrontation due in 2020 with a fun little stinger at the very end of the credits. With a simple Godzilla roar, imaginations soar. But, first, what do the Grue-Crew thing of Kong: Skull Island.
Outline of the Episode
- [00:00:40]: Intro
- [00:03:35]: Announcements
- [00:06:08]: Horror News of the Week
- [00:06:23]: Leslie Vernon returns with Behind the Mask Comic Book Sequel
- [00:10:42]: Godzilla Anime is heading to Netflix
- [00:15:44]: All fear the Friday the 13th: The Game PAX trailer
- [00:19:58]: A four minute Ghostbusters: Cleaning Up the Town trailer revisits the classic horror comedy
- [00:25:44]: Shock and awe with the blood-drenched Game of Death Trailer
- [00:28:54]: Announcements
- [00:28:59]: Check out the Gruesome Magazine Indiegogo Campaign!
- [00:30:36]: Joey Fittos’s Monster Mania Coverage
- [00:31:07]: HNR is heading to Mad Monster Party Carolina!
- [00:31:17]: HNR shares a busy Convention and Festival schedule
- [00:32:50]: Support HNR
- [00:33:11]: Feature Review – Kong: Skull Island
- [01:21:36]: Decades of Horror Plug
- [01:25:50]: Stump The Saint!
NEXT WEEK ON HNR
The Belko Experiment
- Dragon Con
- Gruesome Tees
- Horror Pack
- Crimson Screen Horror Film Festival (Charleston, SC – May 19-22, 2017)
- Nightmares Horror Films Festival (Columbus, OH – October 19-22, 2017)
Gruesome Magazine Spring 2017 is coming! That’s right, the very first issue of an all-new horror magazine from the Grue-Crew behind Horror News Radio and Gruesome Magazine website will land late February 2017. The tag line “Horror Festival Hits – Independent Films – The Future of Horror” reflects the focus of the magazine on the up’n’coming horror film makers and their films in Horror Film Festivals across the globe. Check out the GM page for more details.